Being prepared goes hand-in-hand with being organized, and it is fitting that SpaceMasters would be part of a nationwide event aimed at better emergency preparedness. SpaceMasters is once again joined forces with the National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO) and Department of Homeland Security’s Ready Campaign for the annual National Preparedness Month (NPM), held during September.
Did you know?
- Only 57% of people report that they have readiness items set aside in their homes for use in a disaster
- Just 34% of people have readiness supplies in their car
Less than half of households have an emergency plan and yet…
- 42% of individuals report that they would need help during a disaster
This year, National Preparedness Month will focus on A Time to Remember, A Time to Prepare and will help Americans understand what it truly means to be ready for emergencies that may arise at home, at work, or in the world. Preparedness goes beyond fire alarms, smoke detectors, dead-bolt locks, and extra food in the pantry. Being Ready includes: preparing an emergency supply kit, making a family emergency plan, being informed about emergencies and their appropriate response, and getting involved in community efforts.
Would You SINK or Would You Stay AFLOAT in an Emergency?
Emergency Preparedness Quiz:
- In the past six months, has anyone in your family and/or business spent time being educated on disaster preparedness?
- In the past six months, has a family member or employee provided education to children and/or co-workers on disaster preparedness?
- In the past six months, has your family and/or business spent time preparing for disaster preparedness?
- Does your family and/or business have a disaster/emergency plan with supplies in place?
- In the past six months, has your family and/or business reviewed and updated the disaster plans?
- In the last year, has your family and/or organization made a specific plan for how you and your family and/or staff would communicate with each other during an emergency situation?
- In the last year, have your family and/or business practiced in or drilled on what to do in an emergency?
- In the last year, has your family and/or business prepared and/or updated a Disaster Supply Kit with emergency supplies like water, food and medicine for each person?
- Does your family and/or business have a designated place where all emergency supplies are to be kept and can be accessed by everyone?
- In the last year, have you prepared each of your family and/or business vehicles with a small kit of emergency supplies if an emergency occurred when you were away from your home and/or business?
- Do you know what important documents you would need to have at your fingertips if an emergency occurred and you had to leave quickly?
- Do you have special items in your emergency preparation kit for infants, toddlers, children, senior citizens and/or disabled people?
- Do you have an emergency preparation kit for your family pets?
- Do you know about your local government’s emergency or disaster plan for your community?
- Do you know how to find the emergency broadcasting channel on the radio or television?
- Do you have a plan for your home or business if the power and/or gas service was out for several days or weeks? How would you cook, see or function?
Did you answer NO to more than three of these questions?
Emergencies come in many forms, and they may require anything from a brief absence from your home to permanent evacuation. Each type of disaster requires different measures to keep you and your family and/or business safe. The best thing you can do for yourself and your the important people in your life is to be prepared.
SpaceMasters can turn your emergency preparation “NO’s” into “YES’s”.
Contact us at 818.297.0926 or go to http://www.thespacemasters.com for more information. Special Emergency Preparation Products and Packages are available now through the end of September.